In 2015, NEWAG Capital Group posted record sales revenues amounting to PLN1.026 billion. It is the highest result in the Group’s history which can be attributed to the Group’s efficiency in winning orders in the years 2014–2015.
In 2015, NEWAG Capital Group posted a net profit of PLN 64.9 million while EBITDA amounted to PLN 112.9 million. In 2015, the balance sheet total reached PLN 919.7 million, i.e., it exceeded the balance sheet total from 2014 by PLN 11.1 million.
In 2015, NEWAG Capital Group signed several significant contracts including, among other, contracts with:
• Koleje Dolnośląskie for the delivery of five new four-unit Electric Multiple Units (EMUs) including maintenance services. The contract to the tune of PLN 78 million was implemented in November 2015.
• METROPOLITAN EAD and Siemens – Newag Consortium comprising Siemens A.G. with registered office in Vienna, Siemens EOOD with registered office in Sofia and NEWAG S.A. for the delivery of 20 three-unit metro trains and the traffic control system. An estimated net value of the works in the scope of NEWAG is BGN 73,148,042 (PLN 158,328,936.91 at the NBP rate as of the date the contract was signed) for the basic scope of the Contract. The deadline for implementing the contract is 2018.
• Province of Opole for the delivery of five EMUs with an option for two more EMUs. The contract value in the basic scope (5 EMUs) amounts to PLN 51,300,000.00 net.
• LOTOS Kolej for the delivery of five four-axle GRIFFIN E4DCU-DP locomotives. Under the contract, LOTOS Kolej will lease 5 locomotives and their maintenance services for the period of 7 years which can be extended. The contract also stipulates an option to obtain by LOTOS Kolej further electric locomotives manufactured by NEWAG S.A. at a later date.
• Freightliner PL for the delivery of five 5MW electric locomotives adjusted to pulling freight trains exceeding 4 thousand tonnes. The contract net value is EUR 17.5 million.
2015 was successful for NEWAG Capital Group also outside Poland. FCE (Ferrovia Circumetnea), an Italian Operator commissioned the Company dominating in NEWAG Capital Group, namely NEWAG S.A. to design and manufacture a unique narrow gauge train called Vulcano to service passenger traffic around Etna. Furthermore, a contract was signed for the delivery of five new EMUs for FSE (Ferrovie del Sud Est) in Bari. NEWAG S.A. is also among short-listed bidders in a pending tender for the delivery of five new EMUs for Palermo. The tender results are expected soon.
“This year is special for us. We are planning both international expansion and focusing on the Polish market. We expect that this year, as many as 7 or 8 major public tenders for the delivery of approx. 100 trains will be announced with deadlines for their implementation scheduled for the years 2017 – 2018. We are also preparing in an intensive way to participate in tenders for delivery of trams for many big cities,” said Zbigniew Konieczek President of the Board of Newag S.A.
Research and Development
In August 2015, a design and engineering centre in Kraków was opened employing nearly 30 designers engineers who implement projects for NEWAG Group. The Centre also has a section focusing on resistance calculations of structures. The Research and Development Department has a new team focusing on vehicle exterior design.
“The above investments have made our Company ready to design its own trains independently, which will undoubtedly enhance the attractiveness of our offer,” said Zbigniew Konieczek, President of the Board.