NEWAG group





In 1869, the City Coun­cil of Nowy Sacz deci­des to send a dele­ga­tion to Vienna (with the par­ti­ci­pa­tion of repre­sen­ta­ti­ves of Tar­now) to recruit influ­en­tial poli­ti­cians – Fran­ci­szek Smolka and Julian Duna­jew­ski for the loca­tion of the rail­way thro­ugh Nowy Sacz.

In 1873 in Vienna, Austria-Hungary’s Par­lia­ment deci­ded to build a rail­way Tar­nów — Lviv, length 145.7 km of route run­ning thro­ugh Nowy Sacz.

1876 — for the newly-built railways,in Nowy Sacz a tech­ni­cal faci­lity iscre­ated cal­led Impe­rial — Royal Rail­way Work­shops — today NEWAG

Years 1880 — 1912 a gra­dual expan­sion of the Workshop.

During the First World War, work­shops have not been destroyed. They, rece­ived a new spe­cialty asso­cia­ted with the repair and manu­fac­ture of armo­red tra­ins for the Austro-Hungarian army.


1918 — The first refur­bi­shed loco­mo­tive in inde­pen­dent Poland was the 308 series steam engine.

1922 — the “Work­shop” is rena­medto the “First Class Nowy Sacz Main Work­shop”, which employed about 1,800 people. The com­pany was divi­ded into depart­ments: steam engine, wagon and mechanical.

1939 — anti­ci­pa­ting the events of Sep­tem­ber 1939, some per­son­nel were eva­cu­ated and work­shop equ­ip­ment to Stanislawow


1945 — cle­aring and resto­ra­tion of the work­shops and the launch of pro­duc­tion. 19 April 1945 was put into ope­ra­tion the first steam engine Ty2 series

1950 — Com­pany name chan­ged to the Polish State Rail­ways, Mecha­ni­cal Work­shop No. 3 in Nowy Sacz

1951 — Rena­med “Steam Engine — Wagon Repair Works No. 3 in Nowy Sącz”


1952 — The work­shop is trans­for­med into an inde­pen­dent enter­prise after sepa­ra­ting from the PKP struc­tu­res and obta­ins a new name “Zakłady Napraw­cze Taboru Kole­jo­wego w Nowym Sączu”  - ZNTK, (Rol­ling Stock Repair Work­shops in Nowy Sacz)

1963 — reso­lu­tion of the Coun­cil of Mini­sters’ name “Zakłady Napraw­cze Taboru Kole­jo­wego w Nowym Sączu” are selec­ted for repair of die­sel rol­ling stock

1967 — “ZNTK Nowy Sacz” began repa­iring SM30 series locomotives

1972 — in June, a fare­well to the last repa­ired steam engine TKt48-166. In the same year the first SM42 loco­mo­tive was repaired

1976 – The 100th anni­ver­sary of the company


1977 – pre­pa­ra­tions began for the repair of loco­mo­ti­ves SP42, SM48 and SM31

1982 — re-incorporation of the ZNTK to PKP structures

1991 — “Zakłady Napraw­cze Taboru Kole­jo­wego w Nowym Sączu” is beco­ming again an inde­pen­dent state enter­prise sub­or­di­nate to the Mini­stry of Transport


1994 — Nota­rial Deed dated 6 Sep­tem­ber 1994 Mini­ster of Pri­va­ti­za­tion trans­for­mes ZNTK in a joint stock company

1995 — Company’s sha­res are bro­ught to the Natio­nal Inve­st­ment Funds, the majo­rity to X NFI Foksal

Early 2001 is a tense situ­ation, resul­ting from finan­cial dif­fi­cul­ties and a limi­ted num­ber of contracts

2001 — In June by the deci­sion of the Super­vi­sory Board of the Com­pany the mana­ge­ment is  chan­ged and the pro­cess of restruc­tu­ring begins. The same year, the first repa­ired in “ZNTK Nowy Sacz” elec­tric loco­mo­tive No. 379 EU07 was put into operation

2003 — acqu­isi­tion of sha­res by the natio­nal inve­stor. Imple­men­ta­tion of quality sys­tem ISO 9001:2001

2004 — com­mis­sio­ning of the EN57 No. 1806 — the first repa­ired and moder­ni­zed elec­tric mul­ti­ple unit in ZNTK Nowy Sącz

In 2005, the Company’s name is chan­ged from the cur­rent “Zakłady Napraw­cze Taboru Kole­jo­wego w Nowym Sączu” to NEWAG S.A.

2005 — com­mis­sio­ning of the first repa­ired in Nowy Sacz elec­tric mul­ti­ple unit EN71 series

For­mal com­mis­sio­ning of the newly pro­du­ced in our com­pany, an elec­tric mul­ti­ple unit 14WE Series No. 01 for SKM w War­sza­wie Sp. z o.o.


2006 — in May during his first pil­gri­mage to Poland, Pope Bene­dict XVI bles­sed manu­fac­tu­red by us “The Popes Train” being the gra­ti­tude for the pon­ti­fi­cate of John Paul II

2006 — 130 years of  our activity

2007 – Deli­very of the first moder­ni­zed loco­mo­tive 311D based on GE tech­no­logy for use in the LHS Ltd.

Deli­very of the first moder­ni­zed 6Dg loco­mo­tive for ISD Huta Czestochowa

2009 — Rece­iving a cer­ti­fi­cate for a brand new vehicle 19WE pro­du­ced by NEWAG S.A.


2010 — Deli­very of the first moder­ni­zed loco­mo­tive 16D (SM48) to ope­rate in the LHS Ltd. In Poland
Deli­very of moder­ni­zed 6Dg loco­mo­tive to PKP Cargo.

Deli­very of four 19WE vehic­les to SKM War­szawa Sp z o.o.

Pro­duc­tion and deli­very of the first DMUs SA137, SA138 order by the Mar­shal Office of Pomor­skie Voievodeship.

The Polish Busi­ness Club titled us “Com­pany of the 2 decades”


Signing a con­tract between the con­sor­tium con­si­sting of Sie­mens
Oester­re­ich and Newag S.A. and the War­saw Metro for sup­ply­ing 35 six-carriage INSPIRO metro trains.

Signing a con­tract between PKP Cargo S.A. and NEWAG S.A. for moder­ni­sing one hun­dred SM42 series locomotives.

Suc­cess­ful com­ple­tion of the cer­ti­fy­ing audit as a result of which Newag S.A. joined the group of com­pa­nies mana­ged accor­ding to the IRIS rev. 2. standard.

Signing a con­tract between Koleje Dol­no­ślą­skie  and Newag S.A. for sup­ply­ing  five 31WE vehicles.

Signing a con­tract between PKP LHS sp. z o.o. and NEWAG S.A. for moder­ni­sing five SM48 die­sel loco­mo­ti­ves for  ope­ra­tion at Linia Hut­ni­cza Sze­ro­ko­to­ro­wa [Broad Gauge Metal­lurgy Line] with regi­ste­red office in Zamość.


NEWAG S.A. laun­ched the pro­duc­tion of a new NEVELO tram, desi­gna­ted num­ber 126N.

Deli­ve­ring the last of the five IMPULS (35WE) tra­ins for SKM [Fast Urban Rail] Warsaw.

NEWAG S.A. named “Wprost Inno­va­tor of 2012″.

Ope­ning the new pro­duc­tion hall desi­gna­ted to manu­fac­ture INSPIRO tra­ins for the War­saw metro.

Signing a con­tract between Koleje Mazo­wiec­kie and a con­sor­tium com­pri­sing NEWAG S.A. and Zakłady Napraw­cze Taboru Kole­jo­wego “Mińsk Mazo­wiecki” S.A for moder­ni­sing 34 tra­ins of the EN57 vehicles.

Perio­dic repair for 110 pas­sen­ger coaches for PKP Intercity.

Newag named  “The com­pany that trans­forms Polish indu­stry in2012″.


IMPULS Elec­tric Mul­ti­ple Unit, manu­fac­tu­red by Newag, was the first train in Poland to exceed the speed of 211 km/h.

In June, the first train pro­du­ced for the War­saw metro, left the pro­duc­tion facility.

Signing a con­tract between PKP Cargo S.A. and NEWAG S.A. for moder­ni­sing thirty SM48 (15D) series die­sel locomotives.

Manu­fac­tu­ring  a new 222M Die­sel Mul­ti­ple Unit for Koleje Mazowieckie.

Deli­ve­ring the ninth IMPULS’ (35WE) train for SKM Warsaw.

Signing a con­tract for deli­very of 19 modern, three-section Elec­tric Mul­ti­ple Units for the Pro­vin­ces: Mało­pol­skie, Świę­to­krzy­skie, Pod­kar­pac­kie and Śląskie.

Signing a con­tract with PKP Inter­city for moder­ni­sing twenty SM42 series die­sel locomotives.

INSPIRO manu­fac­tu­red at NEWAG star­ted car­ry­ing pas­sen­gers of the 1st line of the War­saw metro.

On Decem­ber 5, 2013, NEWAG S.A suc­cess­fully laun­ched its IPO at the War­saw Stock Exchange.

Elec­tric Loco­mo­ti­ves Manu­fac­tu­ring Plan,
Branch in Gliwice


On 30 March 1899 in Gli­wice, the Rail­way Mana­ge­ment pur­cha­sed a vast inve­st­ment area from the municipality.Located right next to the forest, this area was mar­ked off for the  con­struc­tion of the Loco­mo­tive Work­shops. On 21 June 1901 the archi­tec­tu­ral design was approved.


The Royal Rail­way Loco­mo­tive Work­shops (Köni­gli­che Eisen­bahn — Loko­mo­ti­vwerk­stätte) were com­mis­sio­ned on Octo­ber 1st, 1904. In those days, they were one of the most state-of-the-art faci­li­ties in Ger­many. The Work­shops employed 230 people at that time. Soon, this num­ber incre­ased to 450 and, just before the out­break of the World War I, the Work­shops employed over 800people.

The year 1922 bro­ught a  the ple­bi­scite and  divi­sion of Upper Sile­sia, and the Work­shops rema­ined within the bor­ders of Ger­many under the name of Reichs­bahn — Aus­bes­se­rung­swerk, later to be chan­ged to Lokwerk.

Until 1939 the com­pany con­ti­nued to deve­lop,  even­tu­ally employ­ing over 2,400. At this time more than 60 repa­irs of dif­fe­rent types of steam loco­mo­ti­ves were being made per month.

During World War II, the Work­shops employed 4,000 people, mostly for­ced labo­urers and pri­so­ners of a branch of Auschwitz . In this period MRO ope­ra­tions, routine and acci­dent repa­irs of 120 steam loco­mo­ti­ves were made per month.


On  Sep­tem­ber 17th, the repair plant was ope­ned under the name Main Steam Loco­mo­ti­ves Plant (Glowne Zaklady Paro­wo­zowe). On 14 July 1962,  repa­irs to the first elec­tric loco­mo­tive EU04-11 were completed.


The plant com­ple­ted repa­irs on its hun­dredth elec­tric loco­mo­tive. In autumn 1970 repa­irs of steam loco­mo­ti­ves were discon­ti­nued, and at the begin­ning of 1971 the com­pany Zaklady Napraw­cze Loko­mo­tyw Elek­trycz­nych (Elec­tric Loco­mo­tive Repair Works) was foun­ded; the com­pany still ope­ra­tes under this name. In Febru­ary of the same year the repa­irs on the plant’sthousandth loco­mo­tive were completed.


At the end of March 1995 the com­pany was trans­for­med into a sole-shareholder com­pany of the State Tre­asury.
In 1999 the com­pany TEAM (Tech­nics Engi­ne­ering Archi­tec­ture Mar­ke­ting) became the majo­rity sha­re­hol­der of Zaklady Napraw­cze Loko­mo­tyw Elektrycznych.


In Sep­tem­ber 2008, the com­pany NEWAG from Nowy Sacz became the majo­rity sha­re­hol­der of Zaklady Napraw­cze Loko­mo­tyw Elektrycznych.


On Febru­ary 20th, 2013 the com­pany chan­ged its name to Newag Gli­wice S.A. In August 2013 the first Polish multi-system elec­tric loco­mo­tive, Grif­fin, was desi­gned and pro­du­ced from the gro­und up.

Strona używa plików Cookie. Jeżeli nie wyrażasz zgody na wykorzystanie tej funkcjonalności, wyłącz ją w ustawieniach swojej przeglądarki lub nie korzystaj z tego serwisu. The website uses Cookies. If you do not agree to the use of this functionality, disable it in the settings of your web browser, or do not use this service.